Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to engineeringdiy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: RTL2832U
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:15 am 
Hello

I have an USB FM and DVB-T receiver based on the RTL2832U that I used to do SDR.

I was wondering if it is possible to use that instead of the FM breakout board as a radio receiver (and possibly add support to receive digital tv in the future).

I will try to contribute to this amazing project, and I am looking forward to building one!

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: RTL2832U
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:39 am 
Maybe this information could be useful to you.

http://www.yellownote.nl/blog/dvb-t-fun-raspberry-pi/

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 am 
To enable the r820t fm tuner you need to enable SDR in the kernel. Then comes the harder bit, how to access it. On the pi2 it appears to show up on i2c-0

Edit: I have just realised that it shows up in the FM Radio straight away but mine was locked to 226.4Mhz but I think that's because I do not have the rotory encoders installed yet.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 pm 
pcrepair wrote:
To enable the r820t fm tuner you need to enable SDR in the kernel. Then comes the harder bit, how to access it. On the pi2 it appears to show up on i2c-0

Edit: I have just realised that it shows up in the FM Radio straight away but mine was locked to 226.4Mhz but I think that's because I do not have the rotory encoders installed yet.

When you say that it shows up in the FM Radio right away, are you suggesting plug-and-play or did you change some of the files to make it work?

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 am 
jordantkirby wrote:
pcrepair wrote:

When you say that it shows up in the FM Radio right away, are you suggesting plug-and-play or did you change some of the files to make it work?

It started to show after I added SDR to the kernel but since I have been playing with the carpc-controller it hasn't shown up again (mainly because it hasn't been connected). Thing is it never actually produced any sound when it was plugged in it just tried to scan that frequency or jumped to 227.6Mhz. I will come back to it once I have the GPS working that my wife got for me for my birthday. I should get that sorted tomorrow and I need to get to the electronics store to pickup some bits for the audio merger board and figure out how to get rid of that horrible alternator whine coming over the speakers since I put the pi in the car.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:55 am 
Is it possible to use the fm tuner without the rotary encoders? I want to be able to just use the screen and have no place for any other buttons

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:48 am 
I was successfully able to get fm radio out of my Pi from the command line using the link that polum provided above

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:55 pm 
https://github.com/glorang/plugin.audio.rtlfm/tree/master
http://openelec.tv/forum/126-3rd-party/75537-fm-radio-receiver-for-kodi-for-the-raspberry-pi-1 - this should be of help for us. Since I have dropped the si4703 due to it going bang, I have been looking into this more and I am listening to FM on desktop using ht esame dongle with the use of rtl_fm which is a part of the RTL_SDR package.

I think we may have got this one cracked now. As this is still very much in development we can only hope to see a kind of seek implementation setup at some point :)

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:22 pm 
So, I have this working in my car. Now just to modify the Kodi plugin so it suits the skin and connect it to my car antenna ... Almost there guys almost there

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 pm 
Car antenna connected and all is good. Found a short cut for adding stations but that may change yet as I have an idea to make it easy.

Currently the plugin sits in music add-ons and I plan on moving it to RadioFM. Once this is done I will provide a guide/update for it.

Report this post
Profile  Offline