Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to engineeringdiy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: New stuff for Car Pc
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:13 pm 
This is what the encoders will be connected with.

ImageImage

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:07 pm 
Ok I revised the main board so almost everything is SMD. That gives more room for other mods later.
I think i'm done revising. Still have to make one for the RPi 3.

Here are the encoder boards.

If you can think of anything else that might go well here let me know soon before I send these out to be made.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 am 
I sent the gerber files out and the board is being produced. I will test everything and make revisions as needed.

I did make it so the pi can be mounted with stand offs.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:57 am 
gcarlyle22 wrote:
@jack the shutdown works like any other shutdown.

Turn ignition off, the board sends signal to pi to shut down however there will be a jumper, shorted on pins 1 and 2 normal 20 second delay. Shorted on pin 2 and 3 the board will wait 25 min before sending the shutdown signal.
In case you are out of the car for only a few mins. When I get home I will go into more detail.

Edit:

You do not need a power supply other than the one you are using already to power the RPi.
You just need to ground the board and connect the IGN wire (on the board) to any interruptible power source. Example the acc wire to the radio. Unless your radio doesn't shut off when the ignition is turned off.

I didn't recognize your edit. So this may be too late:
Seems that you don't use ignition to power the Pi. So you hook it up to a constant power source, right? The problem is that the Pi won't start when it is off but constantly powered. You need to cut the power once before starting the Pi. Not a good solution imho …

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm 
jack wrote:
Seems that you don't use ignition to power the Pi. So you hook it up to a constant power source, right? The problem is that the Pi won't start when it is off but constantly powered. You need to cut the power once before starting the Pi. Not a good solution imho …

You already have your CarPC in the car powered by what ever supply you are using.

Now you decide to take off the fm mod the gps mod the RTC and add the main board. By connecting the GPOI of the pi to the main board you have integrated everything on one board, including the shutdown. All I am doing is adding an ignition sense circuit. When the ignition is turned on it sends a signal to a transistor which charges a capacitor. when the cap is charged it sends a signal to a relay which then grounds (by closing momentarily) pins 5 and 6 on the gpio wala the pi starts.

When the ignition is turned off the circuit does it again wala the pi shuts down. There is a small python shutdown script you add so that when pin 5 goes to ground it shuts down.

Pin 5 will wake the pi up just like using the reset pins (pi 2 at the rear of the board next to the display header. It is marked RUN. pi 3 it is next to pin 39 on the GPIO header marked RUN) Which by the way you can use also to shutdown and start the pi. But I have read the Foundation doesn't recommend it.
This works even with another device connected to pin 5. I have tested it on mine and haven't had any problems.

The shutdown/start up works. I built a 5v 3amp 3 output power supply with the circuit on it. Does a wonderful job.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:30 pm 
Follow this Step by step guide and you will have no more problems.

Link-CLICH HERE

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 pm 
How much will these be produced for? This seems to be a great tidy solution!

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 pm 
I'm not sure yet.

I have 3 versions
1 for the Pi 3 install modules
1 for the older versions install modules
1 for all all chips are installed no modules

I'm trying to keep it under $30

This is the RPi ComboBoard
Everything is integrated on the board. I am still placing things around to maximize board space but this is a general idea of what it looks like.
You can mount the Pi via standoffs then run a 40 pin ribbon between them and you have everything connected.
There is also a 5v 3a power supply included which will be able to power the Pi and another device (7" Display) via the type A USB connector. the Pi can be powered by using a 5 pin micro USB pigtail like the one below. The 5 pin header isn't on the board yet. The 2 USB connectors are power only, no data.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 am 
Here is the latest version with theses features:

5v 3a adjustable power supply
Ignition power on/power off
DS3231S Real Time Clock (RTC)
Si4703 FM
Neo-6m GPS
One wire bus for 8 devices
Encoders (for those of you who do not use them 2 DIP 4 switches are installed. Turn them off you are encoder free)
2 in 1 audio output for all Pi versions.
Pi is mountable with standoffs

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 am 
Looks great!

So when can we expect them!

Report this post
Profile  Offline