Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to engineeringdiy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Advice on sound output.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:12 pm 
What is the most cost effective route for decent car audio? HDMI Extractor -> Amp, DAC Hat -> Amp (or one that includes an amp), or USB sound Card -> Amp? Has to work with the mausberry, so can't use all the GPIO pins.

Running on an RPi3 with a dual output 3A Mausberry Car Switch

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Advice on sound output.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:01 am 
arusia wrote:
What is the most cost effective route for decent car audio? HDMI Extractor -> Amp, DAC Hat -> Amp (or one that includes an amp), or USB sound Card -> Amp? Has to work with the mausberry, so can't use all the GPIO pins.

Running on an RPi3 with a dual output 3A Mausberry Car Switch

Hi did you found a solution to this?

I am currently researching a similiar solution. I have started to build a Car PC / Entertainment system using a Pi 3 and an official 7 inch touchsreen. I too have the Mausberry (not yet connected).

I am now looking for audio output solutions. I was hoping to use my existing In Car Radio but it does not have any audio inputs. I have also been looking at separate amps, initially at some cheap ones on Amazon (around £20 - £30) most have mains adaptors but have a 12v input. Not sure if they would be beefy enough. I have also looked at some of the bespoke RPi ones but again not sure if they are up to it?

I am not sure how many watts per channel I need though? Don't want to host my own festival from the car but I want it to be able to pump out at shows etc.

I

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:16 pm 
Look at forum . Few days ago i helped a guy with this same question .

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:54 pm 
Elias Alves wrote:
Look at forum . Few days ago i helped a guy with this same question .

Elias - is this the post that you are referring to?

http://engineeringdiy.freeforums.org/iso-10487-sound-connection-t707.html

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:46 am 
Yes

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:13 am 
I would also like to know the solution for good quality sound?
Is it possible to use a HiFiberry type DAC with CarPC? I read somewhere that I2C does not work with Kodi. I have searched this forum but not found anywhere a good solution that works.

I purchased a HDMI to HDMI + audio (RCA) converter on Ebay. But my monitor supports only DMT modes. When I enable HDMI audio the video is all messed up. It only happens when I send audio - such as play a youtube video. When the audio source finishes, the video returns to normal! I checked the EDID and the HDMI video extractor does nothing to manipulate this - my monitor says it does not support sound. The HDMI audio extractor appears to only be compatible with a monitor which supports HDMI. My 7" LCD I plan to use also supports only DMT modes with no audio and behaves exactly the same so appears I cannot use this HDMI audio extractor for carpc.

Please post if you have a good solution that is working.

Report this post
Profile  Offline