Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to engineeringdiy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: g-force meter? / more car info on carpc
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:54 pm 
Hey, im just about to get my 1973 datsun 240z back for the summer and of course it offers less than a pocket watch for entertainment and gizmos (for real the thing doesnt even have a working clock...) so ive been lurking the forums and slowly building a set up to fit in the gauge hole where the clock normally would go.....

anywho.... I want the thing to have some fun toys, GPS is huge and glad its already integrated, but was wondering if anyone had added a g force app to the interface / system? think mights see a few auto cross events and would be fun to have... Also in general just hoping to find ways to update the car and get a bit more data out of it.... was reading up a bit on an engine oil life indicator, shift light would be cool ( analog led set up, based off input from analog tach?) cabin air temp?

much appreZiated

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: g-force meter? / more car info on carpc
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:33 am 
Some stuff is interesting , others hard to implement as they need to get info from car`s bus . The idea to have an addon to store data of change oil , air filter , oil filter is interesting .

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:32 pm 
I know a g-force meter has been done with the rasberry pi, its just incorporating it into the nice package thats already been laid out already...

1973 car has no computer or bus, so everything would be analog inputs... as for filter life and other things there can be ways to indirectly calculate them im sure, like milage for oil filter and maybe get an airflow meter and just put it before the air filter and just have it calculate volume that has passed through it? relatively new to the pi and coding so just some thoughts, thanks for the input!

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:07 pm 
I've been working on something like this using a cheap 10DOF sensor from eBay, Sparkfun also sell these boards and the BerryIMU also looks to be widely available so there is plenty of information on how to get data out such as g-force, air pressure, bearings and tilt sensors. I'm almost finished building the Kodi front end but as all these boards use slightly different I2C addresses, I wrote my version to update an sqllite database in memory (to save killing off endless sd cards!) and to run as a Linux service so it's a bit more complicated than just dropping in a Kodi app. Once I have something a bit more user friendly I'll upload the instructions here including the pcb design to easily connect it to the Pi!

Attachments:
tmp_4045-Screenshot_2016-06-19-13-02-26839199159.jpg
tmp_4045-Screenshot_2016-06-19-13-02-26839199159.jpg [ 790.75 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:15 pm 
Good work .

Report this post
Profile  Offline