Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to engineeringdiy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Trouble with sainsmart 9" touchscreen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 am 
Hello,
I have been having quite a bit of trouble getting this screen to work. I have followed the installation steps for carpc with a few changes:
I did not allow the installation script to delete the "game" items, and did not allow the carpc install script to remove lib-firmware since it deletes my wifi firmware. I also used the jessie-patch script to install the libcrypt 11 (and the other stuff it installs).
Anyway, the touchscreen works fine in the desktop (LXDE?). I created an xorg.conf with the appropriate calibrations. However, I have had no luck getting the touchscreen to work at all in kodi. I ran the calibration from kodi many times and rebooted and had no luck.

The screen is native 1024x600 and I edited the calibration addon to be 1024x600. I also set that in the pi's config.txt. Kodi does not have that resolution as a choice. I saw jannikjung0 's post and even tried changing guisettings.xml to 1024x600 which changed kodi to 800x600 and made the screen not fit right.

I have gotten pretty frustrated with this. I feel like I am so close. I am just not sure what I have missed.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Thanatos

P.S. Special thanks to jgauthier. I saw his post about slashes in posts. I have been attempting to post this several times a day since Jan 5 (with 403 Forbidden).

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Trouble with sainsmart 9" touchscreen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:32 pm 
If i remember well , mine screen is the same resolution , except it is 8" . Have you tried to edit touchscreen_axes_calib file generated by the addon ? I tried some different values for calib_x_d= and calib_y_d= . You must check what is behavior of your screen when touched and try different values into that file (in my case calib_x_d=-56).

Good luck

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:06 pm 
Please describe what is not working in Kodi. Wrong resolution? Touch not accurate or not working at all?

And please post the content of your config.txt. Maybe there's something wrong or missing.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:50 am 
Thanks for responding,
jack:
The touch is not working. Once I run the cal program (there are no actual points displayed, so I just pressed in each indicated corner) and rebooted. After that, touching the screen in kodi does not work at all. I can use the mouse to point at menu items but clicking makes the pointer jump off screen to the right (have to press enter instead with mouse over menu item).
My config.txt is essentially (I removed all the remarked lines to make it more readable):
Code:
disable_overscan=1
framebuffer_width=1024
framebuffer_height=600
dtparam=audio=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=spi=on

Elias:
I wanted to edit touchscreen_axes_calib but since touch doesn't seem to be working at all, I am not sure where to start.

It currently contains:
Code:
calib_x_d=10463;calib_x_fact=-27.8285714286;calib_y_d=0;calib_y_fact=-275.0;swap_axes=0;click_confines=8;touch_mouse=1

Also, when I had the xorg.conf it was this (in case there is a way to use it to set up the calibration):
Code:
Section "InputClass"
   Identifier   "calibration"
   MatchProduct   "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
   Option   "Calibration"   "1957 85 306 1817"
   Option   "SwapAxes"   "1"
EndSection

Thanks again,
Thanatos

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 pm 
Try this:

in config.txt, after
Code:
framebuffer_width=1024
framebuffer_height=600

add this:
Code:
framebuffer_depth=16

Additionally add/uncomment this:
Code:
# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60 3 0 0 0

Restart and run calibration again. When calibrating, don't forget to hit Enter after each touch in a corner.

Btw: calib_x_d=10463 ist not normal. The value must be much closer to 0. I think that's the reason why touch is not working. So you really should do the calibration one more time. After that you can fine-tune by editing the values in the touchscreen_axes_calib file.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:24 am 
You can read what's below (a few odd things) but, I did get it pretty much working now. I am still curious about "click_confines." I will post a reply to this tomorrow with the values I used in case it's helpful to someone. The only oddity I have run into is that as I drag my stylus left, the pointer moves down a little, like the touchscreen is skewed from the actual screen.
Thanks again for the help!

====================================================================

Thanks for the input,
I changed the config.txt with no noticeable change. Then I deleted the touchscreen cal and looked at what it was actually doing.
I found that a small area of the upper right of the screen correlated to the remaining left part of the entire screen wand that moving my finger down the screen moved the pointer left and touching right moved the pointer down.

I then created a calibration file like this:
Code:
calib_x_d=0;calib_x_fact=1;calib_y_d=0;calib_y_fact=1;swap_axes=0;click_confines=8;touch_mouse=1

Which I expected to do nothing based on the assumption that the d's are offsets and the fact's are multipliers.
But it did change! Down became right and right became up. And, although the area I could touch was the same, the area the pointer covered now overlapped some with the upper right corner area.

Next I edited the swap_axes=1.
This gave the following results The upper right corner of the screen put the pointer near the left edge about halfway down the screen. Moving my finger down from there (about 1/2") moved the pointer down to the bottom of the screen. Moving left from the right edge halfway across the screen moved the pointer left across the screen. So now I had at least the y axis going the right way.

Next step I edited calib_x_fact=-1
This resulted in no pointer movement no matter where I touched the screen.

I'm not sure why that didn't work. What should I try next? I would prefer not to change wiring.
Am I right about what the variables in the calibration file do? What does "click_confines" do?

Thanks again,
Thanatos

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 am 
In case it helps anyone, here is my "final" calibration:
Code:
calib_x_d=1060;calib_x_fact=-0.54;calib_y_d=-120;calib_y_fact=0.4;swap_axes=1;click_confines=8;touch_mouse=1

I may tweak the y a little bit to average it out since the y axis is a tiny bit skewed across the x axis.

-- If there is a way to mark my question as solved, someone please let me know how and I will do so.

Thanks again for the help.

Report this post
Profile  Offline