Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to engineeringdiy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: carpc car security ideas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 am 
Has anyone thought about or tried to implement a car security system with carpc? A lot of the hardware seems to be there already, and so much is possible with gpio and simple script. Could maybe a backup power supply be used to run the system when the car is off? Maybe a small webcam inside, a GPRS module that can email GPS location and interior photo if car is stolen? Any other ideas? Just trying to brainstorm :)

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: carpc car security ideas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:25 pm 
great idea!

It will be nice to have :
- a system, when the rpi is starting it will ask a passcode and if there will be not the passcode, the engine stop
- a system to record (with gps) the way and archive it when the rpi shutting down
- a gsm/gprs module to send info when the car is moving without the passcode

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:34 pm 
I'm not too sure about the coding side as I'm a complete newbie at Linux but a 5v relay cut into the fuel pump supply, controlled by a gpio script should be easy enough to do. Eg if the pass code is incorrect it sends the pin low, which cuts power to the pump. A possible problem is DTC that could be stored on newer cars, if the fuel pressure is monitored by OBD.

any other ideas? This is something I think I will try to do :)

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm 
I would not consider connecting my raspberry to such important systems like fuel-pump. Imagine, your raspberry crashes, and the relais cuts power - the engine would immediately be without fuel, and that could end up in an accident or a significantly damaged engine...

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:16 pm 
I agree, I was not recommending it, merely bouncing out ideas. Also, a fuel pump malfunction of any kind will not damage an engine, I say this in full confidence as I'm a qualified mechanic!
Again, this is just to get ideas from other users imagination :)

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:33 pm 
I think the fuel pump Idea is a good one, just make sure the relay is a default "on" one so if the rasberry crashes or runs out of battery when the car is sitting for a long time, the car will have fuel.
I also second sherthisisit on the fuel pump not damaging the engine (although I'm just a highschooler in autoshop)

Edit: just noticed how old the thread is, a bit late on this

Report this post
Profile  Offline